Monday, January 30, 2012

We have Evolved, Sister

Written for my poetry class, focusing on rhythm and repetition. But more importantly, it was written for my sister.


We Have Evolved, Sister
You were a Baby, the third small Baby,
I still wanted to be the only baby.
I was Drama Queen, I was Tantrum King,
All for the attention, Baby.
Home videos of you as a baby,
In your baby swing ,
I jumped in front of the camera 
Baby dolls in hand,
Attempting to outperform 
Your strawberry blonde baby curls 
Chubby baby cheeks.

I loved you, I, bossy big sister.
Bossy all day, you grew tired of big sister
Ms. Bossypants sister, shouting directions at you
Like a stage manager, head honcho, big boss.
Stand here, sing this, wear this, I’m the Boss.
Big smile, photograph, big production, No!
That’s not what I meant, Take Two, Baby!

You said you were jealous of me, Sister, I did not realize.
Sister, I was jealous of you first, don’t you see?
We grew jealous of the other, together,
Jealous of the Inner Greatness
As we knew our untapped gifts
Differently than anyone else.
I waited for you to bloom, so I could be jealous again.

No one could know me like you,
Knowing the sibling rivalry, the same quirky parents,
We have known it, We have shared it.
You know, I love our brothers, but
We know what it is like to be the Polansky girls.
Known the Love, Freedom, Discomfort,
We have known it together.

Our Mother raised us to be Strong, Feminist,
Though I always thought of you as the stronger one,
Your strongly sarcastic comments
Hid worry, concern, I know that now.
My strong, condescending tone,
Was meant as a strong push
Towards your Endless Potential.

Now grown, you are my friend,
How you have grown, Little Sister.
I call you when I don’t understand
Why I have grown into what I am.
Your understanding, you know the dysfunctions deeply,
Growing out of control, but now tamed, departing.
And how do we grow from here?
We were cultivated like Dad’s tomato plants,
Planted haphazardly, energetically, with high expectations,
Growing slowly, Watered fervently each day,
Grown to bear brightly colored fruit.
-Sarah Polansky


Rough Draft. I may tinker with it to create a stronger repeating rhythmic pattern. I am pleased with the sentiment I captured though. Love you Katie!

No comments:

Post a Comment