Sunday, February 12, 2012

Science, Math, and the Elusive Logic of Love


Science, Math, and the Elusive Logic of Love
I wander through my parent’s second story,
Sit down, try to study my notes on dioxins, DDT.
It was the worst argument in our history,
Now I just want to tell you about persistent estrogen mimics, PCB’s,
And the effects of altrazine on frogs.
What can I do, math is next, working on logs.

Your anger was justified, though I won’t admit it.
If I had control, my anxiety attacks would happen when I am alone.
You called me when you came home, you saw the empty closet,
I purposely left the dirty dishes and that half-eaten calzone.
My screaming, reeling, crisis mode, your utter exhaustion,
Combined, like nitric acid and hydrazine, leading to combustion.

You don’t have to convince me, because that void I pretend isn’t real
Gnaws at me, and when you say we still belong, inside I say, it’s true.
I feel the need to shine, blinding you, as if I am steel.
Now you show you are vulnerable, bendable as gold.
We are oppositely charged ions, we already formed a covalent bond,
I look in the backyard, I start to notice the fractal in a fern frond.
-Sarah Polansky

No comments:

Post a Comment