Thursday, November 3, 2011

Family Memories: My Grandma

How do you say "shit" in Italian?


My paternal grandmother, Mary, was Italian. Her parents, Katrina and Giovanni, both came to the States from Northern Italy. My dad remembers Katrina speaking Italian, and cooking, cooking, cooking. He still has the table where she used to roll out her ravioli dough. I don't speak any Italian, although I would like to learn a little. Funny how quickly things can change in a few generations.

My Aunt told me that she was always in the kitchen being taught to cook by her mother and grandmother. 
I didn't learn to cook from my grandma. Although I lived with her for years, I never thought to ask her to teach me. I wish I had. 

I  have a childhood of wonderful memories of her. Her favorite colors were pink and purple. She drove a big white and pink van. She loved brightly colored clothes and jewelry. She loved flowers and did flower arrangements for mass. She would always let us dig gum or candy out of her purse. She loved to watch the Trail Blazers and would curse when the other team made a basket. If I had friends over while she was watching the game, they always giggled, "Your grandma just said shit!"

Speaking of learning Italian, I am presenting an Italian Word of the Day!
So, let's start it off with a colorful word: Merda means shit in Italian.
It is also merda in Portuguese and Spanish. How convenient! 
Now you will know how to say shit in all three languages when you travel to the Mediterranean.

Chi Mangia Bene, Vive Bene!

Ciao,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment